Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Another note from Peru

At the moment I am sitting in the plaza of my town. I am writing this blog entry as I listen to huaino music and watch how people buy “salchipapas” from our only kiosk in town. The lady who owns the kiosk is real cool. She is the only person I have met in Peru who has my name, well it’s her middle name but that’s close enough. Her name is Domitila Claudia, and every time I pass through she smiles showing her silver teeth and says “good morning Miss Claudia”. She wears a really cool mountain hat htat compliments her round face. Her husband serves as bodyguard almost. Just acouple minutes ago he shooed a dog away with a slingshot. He probably is responsible for having injured the dog sitting on my feet right now which is missing an eye.

This letter was interrupted for a couple minutes because Maruja, a 38 yr old lady who looks sixty came over to talk to me. She is part of the Virgen de Guadalupe groupe who I have joined for their weekly prayer group several times. The group is interesting because their two main tasks are grinding in the Molino, and praying once a week, fascinating combination of work and religious life. I will join them again next week.

Warning: This blog flows like train of thought, so forgive me if it seems choppy.

I am also about thirty feet from my favorite “tienda” or store. I go there to chat and buy my food daily. The couple has four children; a 22 yr old Edith who is a sweetie and I love talking to, Miguel and Yuli who are 20 and study in Huaraz, the capital of Ancash, and Celia who is 6 yrs old. Last week I took something to the siblings in Huaraz and had some delicious mango smoothies with Miguel.

I have two favorite place sin my town. One is the town plaza because everything happens around it: the Municipality, pensiones, the church, school, and tiendas are around them. I enjoy watching people walk around, sit in benches, play volleyball and interact with each other. My second favorite places is the top of my mountain by th cell antenna. It has a gorgeous view down to the carretera or road overlooking snow topped mountains and the river. Sometimes I go up there and spend hours talking on the phone and writing poetry or plays.

I just spent 10 minutes talking to an Italian missionary who lives in my town. His name is Rafael, just like my dad and my brother. He is my age and is real nice. He runs a copper and metal workshop in the parish where kids come learn a trade. I’ve been over to the church a couple times to have tea or coffe with him. He has such an Italian accent it’s funny. Who knows, maybe by the end of my service I’ll be fluent in Spanish, English, Italian and Quechua. That would cool.

The situation in my family is much better now. I think my mom and dad really like me. I keep making food they like which is awesome. I am going to tell them not to cook tomorrow night. I want to make tuna stuffed caigua (a vegetable) with tuna and vegetables. Things are so good that my mom asked me to scratch her back yesterday. The cutest thing is that my little brother and sister call me auntie and keep hugging me. It’s truly adorable.

I will stop writing now. I should probably go interview and survey some people. Until next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks Claudia. Please keep up the postings. And, I might even send a gift to your siblings - if I had your mailing address. -- One of your older boyfriends.

Rafael Romeu said...

Hola bebe: Acabo de leerle esta a Mami y a Rafa. Nos encanto tu relato de la vida cotidiana y los personajes de Huantar. Continua...

Mario Martinez said...

Hey, just thought I'd let you know that I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep us updated and best of luck with everything.