Tuesday, December 30, 2008

After Many Months! Update

Hi everyone! (written on Dec 24th, 2008)

I know, I know! This blog entry has taken forever to be written. Only I am to blame. I had various chances to write it but never did. From September to late November I was undergoing intense technical training, and I seldom found time to go online to write on my blog. Training was amazing; our group Peru 12 is really cool. I became good friends with all the new volunteers, and my host family was a real treat. Swear in was the 28th of November, and from there we embarked in our journey to our new sites.

Currently I have been in my site in the town of Huántar for almost a month. Things are going fine. I cannot say things are going great because it is very very hard to get used to the culture of the Andean mountains. On top of that, it is really tough that I have only been here less than a month and it is already the holiday season. I am writing this entry on Christmas Eve, and there is absolutely nothing going on. It’s very depressing that there are no Christmas lights, no Christmas trees, and no Christmas spirit. Today feels like any other day, which is good because I at times forget that it is Christmas Eve. Tomorrow two other volunteers and I are going to the nearest small city and spend Christmas Day together. It’s the first time I have spent the Holidays away from home, and it is terribly difficult. I keep thinking about how I celebrate it at home and get nostalgic. I know it is a new experience, and part of growing up is going through all of this by myself, but oh man, oh man, does it hurt to think that I am so far away.

My host family is a nut case. I really hope I get used to the living situation or else. My siblings are the cutest thing in the world, but my host mom I don’t think likes me very much. I guess it must be cultural differences, but talking to her is close to impossible. My dad seems like a cool dude; he doesn’t really mess with me much. My room despite being very cold, I can probably get used to.

My town is cool. We have a plaza, a church, a municipality, a school, and a couple stores. The mayor seems like a neat guy. He is working very hard to develop the town, and has been giving jobs to people to rebuild the health post, a school, the plaza and some streets. He comes from Lima, and is very interested in improving life in his district. Last Sunday another volunteer and I went to a meeting at the municipality. There was a discussion group about poverty and under nutrition. The district is starting to follow a national plan to target these problems, and Peace Corps is going to work hand in hand with the program.

The weather will be a challenge. I will probably get sick from colds often during these two years. If it’s sunny it is very warm, and when it rains it drops to the forties. The rainy season is starting now, and when it decides to rain, it rains! It usually rains harder at night which is good, because it helps me sleep more soundly.

Nature is truly magical. People keep saying it’s going to get greener around March but I really don’t see how it could ever get greener than this. The mountains around here are breathtaking. One of my hobbies is to go on hikes and enjoy nature. Everyone in my town has ‘chacras’ or plantations that they go work on during the day. Most people have corn, potatoes, wheat and lentils. It is truly beautiful.

We are celebrating New Years in Huaraz, our provincial capital. We are so lucky to have this place! It truly helps me stay sane. We meet over there every two or two and a half weeks. There are a couple cafes that we frequent and use the internet. There are also a couple clubs that we absolutely love. We recharge batteries for a couple days and return to our sites.

Work is slow. The first month my job was to get to know the town, and start making connections. For the next two months I will be doing a community diagnostic which hopefully will keep me very busy. So far I spend my days either going on hikes with the nearest volunteer or helping out a little at the health post. I spend many hours hanging out in the plaza, talking to the neighbors, playing volleyball, reading, and writing. I have been writing a lot of poetry, and now I have decided to begin writing a play. I don’t have much written yet, and that might be another way to keep myself busy.

That’s a quick summary of my life in Huantar! I really would love if you guys would call my cellphone or if you were to write or send care packages to me. I really miss all you guys and wish that I could call you guys this Holiday Season and tell you how awesome and special you guys are.

Take care everyone! And God Bless! Peace in the New Year!
Claudia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A care package to where? Huántar, c/o Claudia en "La Plaza"?

Anonymous said...

De acuerdo. ¿Dirección?