Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Air Frustrations

I hate traveling with a passion. I love the places it takes me. The actual traveling I detest more than eating slimy okra.

[Writer’s note: Beware. It’s gonna be a lot of complaining in the next paragraphs. But you will enjoy it.]

After graduating I flew from St. Louis with the family to visit my sister in California. After a week there we flew back home to Puerto Rico. Oh my; airlines are tempting me to… to… not return my seat back to full right position for landing, or get out of my seat when the “fasten your seat belt” sign is on. Don’t mess with me. I will!

Top 25 reasons why flying SUCKS! (I know I’m not being very articulate, but who cares? If you wanna read something articulate check out another blog. Read on and have fun.)

1) It’s freaking expensive! With all the money I have spent traveling up until now I could have built myself a freaking sweet time machine. Would have gone back in time and kicked the Wright brothers’ butts!

2) Now you can only check one bag! Where am I supposed to put the second cadaver?

3) They charge ridiculously for overweight bags. It’s not my fault Mr. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe were overweight!

4) People behind the counter are nasty mean! (“Meanness abilities” always on their resume)

5) Bag handlers are beasts! They don’t understand that precious cargo is inside (see number 2).

6) They make you strip before passing the metal detector.

7) They take away your nose clippers.

8) You can’t bring water with you. They do this not for safety, but so you will buy the $5.08 bottle inside the terminal.

9) Only 1oz whatevas on the plane. They want to make sure it goes well with everything else that’ mini on the plane: mini sandwiches, mini pretzels, mini cookies, mini forks, mini knives, mini spoons, mini sugars, mini sodas, mini tea, mini coffee, mini tvs, mini seats, mini bathrooms, mini space, mini service…

10) Seats only recline 2cms, and they make you be in a full right position for landing. Yeah, like it makes a difference.

11) There is one inch between your knee and the guy in front of you’s behind.

12) Footsie and elbowing games with the two people on your side.

13) The fat/smelly/talkative guy on your left.

14) The crying baby behind you.

15) There’s always a long line to the bathroom every time you really have to go.

16) Running to the other side of the airport to catch your next flight.

17) They do their best, and succeed, in making you loose your connection.

18) $10 sandwiches and $5 cokes in airports.

19) They make you wear seat belts, as if they will save you from a plummeting plane traveling 1000 miles an hour.

20) SKY MALL. I have never ever ever in my life seen anyone buy anything from that magazine.

21) The air-hostess, I mean air-waitress, correction flight attendant’s cheap perfume.

22) Horrible airplane food. No wonder ½ hour after serving everyone is rushing to the bathrooms.

23) Waiting an hour to get your bags. Why are mine always the last ones!?

24) Them loosing your bags.

25) Your lack of power over the whole thing.

I have more but decided to stop there. Feel free to add more in the comments section.

3 comments:

Harrison said...

1) It sucks, but still cheaper than driving with gas prices the way they are.

2) Fly Southwest, you can check 2 bags for free!

3) Very annoying, yes, but still cheaper than sending something that heavy UPS/FedEx/Post Office

4) Again, fly Southwest, the LUV airline!

5) True

6/7/8/9) Stupid TSA. I'm with you 100%

10/11) If you're evacuating a plane, it does make a difference. Plus, it is nice to let your knees breath a little bit if the idiot in front of you is reclining on them the entire flight.

12) Try to sit next to cute people.

13) Eww

14) Ouch

15) YES

16/17) Murphy's Law of Airline Travel: Connecting gates will always be further away the shorter connection you have. If your inbound flight is late, your outbound flight will be on time. If your inbound flight is on time/early, your outbound flight will be horribly late. Checked bags will get lost on the longest connections, make some short connections, but with no consistency. Your bags will always be last off the plane, and anything fragile will be broken.

18) Boo

19) They do help with a phenomenon called clear air turbulence, which is where the plane hits a rough patch of air out of nowhere. It has killed people who were not buckled in and were thrown into the ceiling.

20) Yes, but it is fun to look through during the delays.

21) Agreed, though not universal.

22) Luckily, most airlines no longer serve any food at all.

23/24) See Murhpy's Law of Airline Travel above.

25) That's why we complain and make lists like this to vent. And then we get people who post really really long comments because, as a future airline employee, they feel the need to justify the actions of their entire industry. Sorry!

Unknown said...

Miss you. Swim to Miami instead of flying to come see me!

Anonymous said...

Well Claudia:
(13)At least I was siting on your right and there was the aisle between us, my seat was 26d and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Espero que la experiencia haya sido memorable lol!!

EXITO EN TU PLANES,
Andres