Monday, May 12, 2008

Murphy's Law

Mur·phy's Law / ˈmərfēz/ a supposed law of nature, expressed in various humorous popular sayings, to the effect that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. (From The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English 2008. Just to sound like I really know what I’m saying.)


I never truly understood the popular Murphy’s Law until yesterday. Something had the chance to go wrong, and it did. No Dad, don’t worry…I’m still graduating in four days. I woke up to a gorgeous morning: the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the air was cool. A perfect morning to go running to the park. Knowing that my volleyball days are over, and that running more than two miles seemed more like an impossibility than a challenge, I decided to run to Forest Park. About two miles roundtrip I decided to push myself to that limit. I was feeling great, and hopefully didn’t look like a gazelle running. Tied my running shoes, put on my shorts, got my ipod, and went running. I was so proud of myself! I ran faster than I thought, didn’t end up panting, and even did some sit-ups and push-ups after running up Art Hill. By the time I got home I felt like I champ! J I still got it!... Got what?! Then I realized: I didn’t have my id or my keys.


“Oh shit” I said. Immediately started laughing like a maniac. Even the construction workers turned around to see where that bird call was coming from. I must have dropped them somewhere during my 2 mile run. (Yeah, I know. I’m an idiot to have put them in my underwear.) ….. I then ran to Student Records to see if I could get a new card…. Duh! They are closed in the weekends. That means I won’t be able to get a new one until Monday. “I’ll retrace my steps!” somehow seemed like a good idea. And I ran again….. (Panting at this point)…. L …. Obviously, I didn’t find them. Remember the name of this blog entry? So after 4 miles or so of running and feeling stupid I stopped to get a new key. They gave me a temporary one to get into my building and my room. Lucky I felt? Not! I then went to the cafeteria to see if I could beg someone there to let me eat for free because without my id card I cannot buy anything. Thankfully I managed to beg for some free food and someone ended up with a date proposal. (hehe lol right?)


Why Murphy’s Law? It wasn’t that bad. Well, it happens to be that it is not strange for me to find myself in a pitiful situation during my run to Forest Park. For instance:

1) Last October I twisted my ankle pretty badly after a dude in a bike almost ran me over in Forest Park. I then had to hop back home for about a mile.

2) Last year I had to sprint really really really fast for my life when out of nowhere bad weather produced a tornado in the middle of my run. I had to run like a gazelle in high heels to save my life.

I don’t think I have to make my case anymore. “Heisenberg indetermination principle applied to ill luck: The better you know the amount of ill luck that will strike you, the worse you know when this will happen, and vice-versa.” (Murphy’s Laws Site)

2 comments:

Horpid said...

LOL
Tornados on your running track? That's awesome! How big of a tornado was it?

CRM said...

I never saw the tornado. I just heard the sirens and ran!