Feeling Productive
Yes, finally I am starting to feel productive. All those who have had the chance to talk to me during the last 6 months know as a fact that I have had some hard times struggling with feeling productive. At last during the last month or so I am feeling like what I do might actually matter.
The first couple months in site I was doing a community diagnostic, and I didn´t feel impelled to start any projects. I was basically getting to know my community and gaining their trust.
Early April I started working with the local high school empowering them on topics like self esteem, communication, values, making decisions, sexuality and fatherhood among others. Then I started feeling like I was starting work. Since I created a Youth Group, English Club, English Classes, Dance Classes, and have recently started giving health classes at elementary schools around the whole districts. In the next couple weeks I will start a community garden at a nearby town. That is basically what I have done so far.
I am keeping myself pretty busy. I schedule about a class or two a day which helps me feel occupied. I love opening my planner and seeing how much I have accomplished and how many other things I have planned. I don´t feel like the most productive up to my potential but I am trying to get there.
I absolutely love what I do. When I’m in front of a classroom full of kids, with all of their attention focused on me and what I have to teach them just blows my mind. I have so much potential influence on how these kids think that never ceases to amaze me. Many times, especially with teenagers, I am done with a class and feel like I got nothing accomplished. I feel frustrated and confused but know that at least one kid got something from it.
I specially love my work with the Youth Group. I have between 8 and 10 teenagers who always come to our weekly meetings. They are the most mixed group in the school. I have the cool kids, the bullies, and a couple nerds. Isn´t it amazing that such a distinct crowd want to participate in it? It´s awesome to have the cool kids because I feel they can have the most significant multiplying effect, the bully will perhaps calm down a bit, and the nerds feel like they can trust me. The kids are so into the youth group that they talk to me about it everyday, and we meet more often than just once a week. We are friends; however, I always keep in mind that I am their role model 24-7. Two weeks ago we went out to the field at night to watch the starts. How fun was that! I explained a couple things I know about starts and had them amazed at the universe´s grandiosity. This Thursday we are meeting at night to do a fire, eat smores (which I will teach them how to make) and tell stories. On Friday morning we will continue to paint the World Map Mural we just started at the library. I am really excited about this project. It will take us a couple weeks to finish but will have us occupied on something.
I have also started giving dance classes. The high school is celebrating their anniversary at the end of June and the firth graders (equivalent to our High School Seniors) want to put together a dance. So, I am teaching them some salsa moves. They are in desperate need of guys but it’s working out fine.
As you can see I have somehow changed the focus of my Peace Corps Service. My theoretical focus group is mothers with children under 3 years old. But over 4 organizations in my district work with that group. However, kids and teenagers are being ignored despite them being our future and them being the most likely group to change behavior. So, I have decided to work closer with the schools than with the mothers, and hope for a trickle down effect. I am not exactly sure what that will do for my Project Plan but I think that is what I should be doing.
I want to work other projects but all at its right time. I want to work with family gardens (I started a pilot garden in a nearby community), animal husbandry, trash and house hygiene. But I can’t start anything yet. I need more time to get my feet off the ground, and I have to start asking for funding. Without money nothing happens. So, if you are interested in donating some Washingtons please get in contact with me. My community will greatly appreciate it.
Life is good and work is getting better. I would rather not complain about anything because I could start believing things are horribly hard which they are not. At least the past couple weeks have been great. Please keep sending positive energy my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Tu habilidad para reflexionar sobre tu impacto en la vida de la gente con que trabajas es increible. Tu madurez se projeccta en tu reto persona de lograr tu maximo potencial... No olivides que tu experiencia en Peru no es solo para enriuezer las vidas de las personas que conoces, sino tu propia vida, de las personas con que estas compartiendo tu experiencia a travez de este blog, y de tu propia familia. Te admiro mucho.
Como podemos donar?
Clau, que bueno que ya te encuentras trabajando en tus proyectos y adelantando tu agenda. Que Dios te ayude a seguir inspirando e instruyendo a esos jovenes que tanto lo necesitan!
Post a Comment